IdoLocalFood
What sells best at a farmers market? - Printable Version

+- IdoLocalFood (https://www.idolocalfood.com)
+-- Forum: Farm-to-Table Experiences (https://www.idolocalfood.com/forum/farm-to-table-experiences)
+--- Forum: Farmers Market (https://www.idolocalfood.com/forum/farmers-market)
+--- Thread: What sells best at a farmers market? (/thread/what-sells-best-at-a-farmers-market)

What sells best at a farmers market? - Rukevwe - 06-26-2024

I would like to know What sells best at a farmers market? Most especially in the caribbian region. I'm considering producting some kind of product but would like to get an hint on what moves the market at this particular region. Can someone share some hints?

RE: What sells best at a farmers market? - ruonasargin45 - 06-26-2024

(06-26-2024, 06:13 AM)Rukevwe Wrote: I would like to know What sells best at a farmers market? Most especially in the caribbian region. I'm considering producting some kind of product but would like to get an hint on what moves the market at this particular region. Can someone share some hints?

I'm a farmer and I do visit the markets more often for updates and most expecially in that area I've had some experience with farmers markets in the Caribbean, so I can definitely share some insights on what tends to sell well.

When considering what to produce, think about the local tastes as well as the tourist market, which often looks for unique and authentic Caribbean products.

It's also a good idea to visit some local markets and talk to vendors to get a sense of what’s in demand. With my little experience I would say you might want to consider selling some of these items

1. Fresh Produce: Tropical fruits like mangoes, pineapples, papayas, and bananas are always popular. Locally grown vegetables such as yams, sweet potatoes, cassava, and peppers also tend to sell well.

2. Herbs and Spices: The Caribbean is known for its rich culinary traditions, so fresh herbs like thyme, cilantro, and parsley, as well as spices like turmeric, ginger, and local pepper varieties, are in high demand.

3. Homemade Goods: Jams, jellies, and preserves made from local fruits are big hits. Coconut-based products, such as coconut oil and coconut water, are also very popular.

4. Baked Goods: Traditional Caribbean baked goods, such as sweet breads, patties, and rum cakes, attract a lot of buyers.

5. Handmade Crafts: Items like woven baskets, straw hats, and other artisanal crafts can be popular, especially with tourists looking for unique souvenirs.

6. Prepared Foods: Ready-to-eat meals and snacks, like jerk chicken, roti, and other local delicacies, often draw in crowds.

7. Organic and Natural Products: There's a growing market for organic produce and natural health products, such as herbal teas and natural beauty products.'

Do some observation yourself, visit the market, observe and write down other items you saw while you visited the market so you can know exactly what to product or sell to the market. I wish you goodluck